- Fixed a compatibility issue with Mastercam.
| Oct 6, 2020
- Fixed a compatibility issue with Sage 500.
- Added an option to close extra instances if the user
unknowingly started a second instance, while having another copy
minimized. In this case, the second copy is closed, and the
first copy is activated.
- Changed "Use the same Idle Time for all windows" option to
"All EXE's share the same license", to reflect clearly what this
- Added an option to restrict logon to ACI Manager only from the
same PC as ACI Server. This would hide "Enter Admin Mode" on the
- Security: Disabled Remote Control function and changed it to
View only function. Using Keyboard/Mouse to control the target
client no longer works. Remote viewing clients can further be
disabled if needed by setting EnableRemoteControl INI entry to
0. See the help file under Using Auto Close Idle-->Using Auto
Close Idle Manager-->Using the Remote View function.
- Security: Hardened ACI Client/Server from unauthorized and
carefully crafted messages.
- Improved performance for users with hundreds or thousands of
- Improved ACI Client memory usage.
- Fixed compatibility issues with Windows 10.
- Fixed issues with ACI Client not starting in single published
application sessions, which previously required editing
shortcuts to work. This fix only applies to new installations.
Existing installations either have to edit the published
application shortcut, or reinstall ACI Client.
- Pressing Ctrl+A to select all users might cause ACI Manager to
freeze. This was fixed in this version.
- When there are firewall issues preventing ACI Client from
connecting to ACI Server, it may use 100% CPU time briefly. This
was fixed in this version.
- Added an alternative method to detect idle time to
work around issues with some Internet Security software.
- Fixed an issue with the ACI Manager login window appearing
behind other applications.
- Fixed an issue with the ACI Server not accepting connections
after a while.
- Fixed a connectivity issue in Windows 7 and after that could
prevent some ACI Clients from connecting to ACI Server.
- Fixed an issue with monitoring 64-Bit applications under
Windows/Citrix Terminal Servers.
- Fixed an update issue that was introduced in version 4.3.0
that caused ACI Server not to update itself. To update from
version 4.3.0 or after to the latest version, just reinstall ACI
Server. There is no need to reinstall the clients. ACI Server
installation includes the client update files, so they would
update themselves automatically. If you are using a version
prior to 4.3.0, then you can update to the latest version by
using Tools→Update from
- Added the ability to delete multiple users. In previous
versions, deleting users was restricted to one user at a time.
- Fixed an issue causing ACI not to click on Exit Messages in
some versions of Infor ERP software.
- If the administrator changed "Auto Close" to Yes, and some
users were about to be closed in 30 Seconds or less, you get a
warning that these users are about to be closed.
- Under some circumstances, Navision may show a warning about a
window being locked by another window, particularly on fast
computers. This was fixed in this version.
- Changed ACI Client icon clock behavior(if not hidden) when a
multi-EXE app is being used. In previous versions, the clock
icon was not showing the time left for the EXE that was about to
be closed. This was fixed in this version.
- Improved performance.
Added special handling for Exit Messages that some
applications use that look similar to standard Windows
dialogs, but ACI Client wasn't clicking them as normal. In
this version, ACI Client would treat these exit messages like
normal standard Windows dialogs.
- Under Citrix and Terminal Servers, when you change one user
settings, some or all other users would change to the same
settings as the original user. This is caused by having users
home folder set on the server to the same path, or if the path
was invalid or inaccessible, in which case the OS would use a
default user profile. In this case, all users would have the
same settings and desktop appearance. In this version, ACI
was modified so whether the profiles were shared or not,
individual users can be changed without affecting other users.
- Added an Exit Message option to make ACI Client look for a
match in either the Body or the Title of the Exit Message.
- Added an Exit Message option to make ACI Client look for
matches by using wildcards in addition to Exact and Partial
- In some applications, in particular those that show an initial
window, such as a login window, and then show the real
application afterward, ACI Client was treating the initial
window as the main application window, and after it closes, it
stops monitoring the application and just waits for the process
to exit. This was fixed in this version.
- On terminal servers, when the initial application is a logon
process that logs on the user then starts the real application,
then this logon process exits, ACI Client exits as well. In this
version, ACI Client checks if the initial process started other
processes and remain running to monitor the real application.
- Fixed an issue with clients not finding ACI Server typically
when ACI Server computer has multiple network adapters. In
previous versions, ACI Server was reporting to the client the IP
address of the first adapter. In this version, ACI Server would
report the adapter IP that is on the same subnet as the client,
making it possible to have clients from multiple subnets without
having to specify the IP address to the client.
- Fixed an issue with users who are using multiple copies of ACI
with the second copy showing an error message about a language
file not being found every time ACI Client is started.
- Fixed an issue with clients not finding ACI Server typically
when the computer has multiple network adapters.
- Fixed an issue with the idle time resetting when the user
minimizes the application or restore it, and when clicking and
dragging the application main window or maximize it. In this
version, clicking on the main window title bar and
Minimize/Maximize buttons are ignored.
- When using "Use the same Idle Time for all windows", ACI was
still counting separate processes as using separate licenses,
preventing the use of "Close clients based on the number of
licenses left" feature. In this version, ACI counts all
processes as using the same license when this option is
- When you change the option "When a Terminal Services session
is disconnected, close the application within", the changes
didn't take effect unless you are changing other options, such
as the application title, or when the next time the user logs
on. This was fixed in this version, and the changes would apply
- When "Enable Navision extensions" is checked, ACI will monitor
the following executables regardless of what is set in the
application title or EXE Path option. It will also monitor these
fin.exe: Classic Client
finsql.exe: Classic Client, SQL Option
Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe: Role-Tailored Client
- Added an option to auto close the target application when a
terminal services session is disconnected. If you use the
terminal services feature to auto logoff the user when a session
is disconnected or idle, the terminal server will only give the
application 5 seconds to close itself, otherwise, the task is
terminated. If the application shows a message box, such as "Are
you sure you want to exit?", then the terminal server will kill
the process after 5 seconds.
- Added an option to auto close all users at a specific time.
This is usually used to make sure that all copies are closed, so
a nightly backup can be done.
- Added an option to kill the target process when the
application cannot be closed normally within a specified period.
- Fixed an issue with "Close clients based on the number of
- ACI now runs as a service, and users can be managed from any
workstation by going to ACI Client, and right clicking the icon
on the task bar and selecting "Enter Admin Mode". The default
password is "admin", all lower case.
- Added "Close clients based on the number of licenses left"
option. With this option, you can make ACI close clients only
when the number of open applications exceeds certain value. For
instance, if you have 25 licenses, and the number of open
applications went beyond 23, ACI will close the most idle copy
of the application so there is room left for users who try to
log in. If the most idle copy cannot be closed within 10
seconds, ACI tries to close the second most idle copy and so on
until a copy is closed.
- Added "Default Auto Close for new users" option. Currently,
when a new user appears in ACI, "Auto Close" always defaults to
Yes. You can change that by using this option.
- Added "Do not show the remaining idle time to the user"
option. When selected, the user doesn't know when the time limit
is up, so he or she doesn't click the application to extend the
- Added "Hide ACI Client icon" option. When selected, the user
doesn't see ACI Client icon.
- Changed the way groups are assigned. Now you can select one or
more users and drag them and drop them on a group list on the
left side, or use the right click menu to assign to groups or
- Added an update service. This update service does two things.
First, it updates the software when you use Tools→Update
from ACI Manager. Digital signatures are used without Internet
access to make sure that updates are valid and not altered.
Second, it auto starts ACI Client in terminal servers or Citrix
environment when it detects that a session started in single
application mode, so using /R command line option as was
required by previous versions is not necessary. So ACI would
work in these cases out of the box and no additional
configuration step is necessary. The service accepts
/noautostart to disable this option. If you were using a
previous version of ACI, and were using /R command, the update
service will not start another copy if it finds that ACI Client
is already started. So you can leave /R command as it's for now,
and remove it later when you have the time.
- ACI was not closing Navision in some cases. When the user
opens many windows, the user might see a message that says that
Navision cannot be closed because certain windows are locked. In
this version, the user will not see this message, and ACI would
close it regardless of how many windows the user has opened that
otherwise would show that message.
- Added support for monitoring 64-Bit applications.
- When "Close Most Idle User by others" is used, the correct
application is closed; however, in some cases, the incorrect
user is notified that an application was successfully closed.
This was fixed in this version.
- Added support for clicking on non-English buttons in Exit
Messages. Previous versions only recognized Exit Messages that
contain buttons showing English text, such OK, Yes, No and
Cancel buttons. Virtually all localized versions of Windows
operating system are supported.
- Added a new option "Use the same Idle Time for all windows".
This option is usually enabled for applications that use
multiple processes or EXE's to launch different aspects of the
same database application. When enabled, ACI will not close any
window or process until the user stops working on all matching
windows/processes. All processes in this case will show the same
Idle Time and will be closed together. When disabled(default),
ACI will close unused copies of the application independently
based on how the user was working on each copy.
| Apr 15, 2009
- Fixed an issue when "Close Most Idle User by others" is used
and the most idle user cannot be closed. In this update, ACI
will wait for 10 seconds for the application to close, then
moves to the next most unused copy and repeats the process until
a copy is closed, either by ACI or manually. Once a copy has
been closed successfully, the user is notified with a message
"Another application was closed successfully. Try logging on
- The delay to wait before closing a main menu EXE after closing
all other windows is now configurable, instead of the default 5
Added a command line parameter(/R) to ACI Client to
use with Terminal Servers in single application mode. In this
case, ACI starts the target application(specified in /R
parameter), then auto exits when the target application is
closed(whether by the user, or ACI), allowing the terminal
session to end normally.
- Terminating ACI Client process is now blocked for
- Added support for roaming users.
- Added additional buttons to click on: "Terminate", "Continue",
"Close", and "Exit".
- The delay to wait for the CPU to become idle is now
configurable instead of the default 30 seconds.
- Added Unicode support to computer and user names.
- Improved the performance of displaying and sorting the list of
June 14, 2007
- ACI now can leave one application open and only close it after
it closes all other matching applications. This is used for
accounting applications that have a MainMenu.exe that starts
other modules as separate EXE files. In this case, the
application may require that all other modules to be closed
before closing MainMenu.exe. In this case, MainMenu.exe is
closed last after waiting a grace period of 5 seconds, to allow
other processes to communicate with the main process if needed.
- ACI was not closing Navision when a prompt to replace the ZUP
- Fixed minor Vista issues.
Nov 22, 2006
- Applications can now be monitored by part of the EXE path
name, including wildcards.
- ACI now supports monitoring multiple EXE's simultaneously that
belong to the same database application.
- Added support for multiple Exit messages/Dialogs.
CPU usage threshold check can be turned off by
setting it to 101%, for applications that use 100% CPU time.
ACI was not closing Navision if it was left at the
Logon dialog. This is fixed in this version.
March 1, 2006
- In few computers with certain Office versions and certain
service packs, ACI Client was showing an error at startup or
using too much CPU time. This was fixed in this version.
May 6, 2005
- Added "Enable Remote Control" option to the client for privacy
reason. By default it's disabled.
Apr 6, 2004
- ACI was not detecting some 3rd party applications correctly.
This was fixed in this version.
Dec 15, 2003
- Minor fix for supporting exit
messages in some applications.
Dec 11, 2003
- Added support for fixed exit
messages, such as "Are you sure that you want to exit?".
- Clients appear faster when you
restart ACI Manager.
- Removed group name change
Oct 17, 2003
- Allows you to manage users by
- Shows CPU Usage, CPU Idle Time,
and the application title being monitored.
- Reduced screen flickering when
there are too many users.
Oct 8, 2003
- Some TCP/IP Error messages were
not suppressed in the previous version. This was fixed in this
Oct 2, 2003
- Added Remote Control
functionality to enable the administrator to interact with the
monitored application remotely and respond to validation
- Monitors the application's CPU
usage (Windows NT/2000/XP Clients) and waits until the
application finishes any pending tasks.
- Minor changes to the way ACI
- Remote update now can work with
proxy servers that don't require user authentication.
June 27, 2003
- Improved software stability.
- Clients fail to reconnect
sometimes. This has been fixed in this version.
- Added additional checking routine
to reject non ACI packets which use the same TCP/IP port as
- Changed the server title to "Auto
Close Idle Manager".
June 23, 2003
- "Active Application Count" was
not updated when a user is deleted.
- When "Auto Close" is set to No,
the clock icon does not change back to the default non-clock
- "Idle Time so far" does not show
the idle time correctly if it's over 30 minutes.
- Switching between terminal server
session and local computer resets "Idle Time so far", even if
the mouse or keyboard were not used.
- Sorting by clicking on a column's
heading doesn't work when certain columns are changed.
June 20, 2003
- Added support for non-English
versions of Navision.
June 18, 2003
- "Close anyway?" window in
Navision is not closed if the operating system is non-English.
This has been fixed in this version.
June 12, 2003
- Navision was not closing properly
sometimes. This has been fixed in this version.
- Added a clock like icon to show
the remaining time before closing the application.
- Added an option to prevent users
from closing other users' applications if the most idle user
is only idle for a short period of time. The administrator can
specify this short period of time using this option.
June 05, 2003
- Fixed a problem with remote
June 04, 2003